06 June 2010

Nature you freak me out.

JP has freaked me out once again. (Thanks JP) He told me about this sinkhole that has appeared in Guatemala about a week ago. After a tornado swept through Guatemala a sink hole appeared. It looks like a photoshopped pic, but it's really real.


There are several things that freak me out about this. Firstly take are really good look at the photo. The earth goes down about 100m and then NOTHING! NOTHING! How can there be nothing?! There's literally nothing there! It freaks me out. Think about it, there was a three story building sitting on top of only 100m of earth and then nothingness. That's just creepy. If that happened here in my backyard I wouldn't be able to live here anymore. If it happened in Palmerston North I'd be very nervous about living here.

And then my next thoughts are about how far down does it go before you hit something? How far underneath of the rest of the city does the void go? How are more people not freaking out about this right now?!

And, how are they going to fill it in? Normally with sinkholes they use debris and earth from otherplaces to fill it in, but with this sink hole they don't know how far the void goes, so no idea how much debris they will need.

And then there's the whole "how the hell did happen?" question. Officials are saying that it was discovered by nature, but made my man. Something about bad sewage, plumbing etc that has eroded the pipes and earth. What makes it even worse is that this is not the first time this has happened. In 2007 Guatemala had a 30 metre sinkhole that was similar. Only this one is 100 metre deep and opens up in to a gaping hole.

Guatemala you are officialy off my 'places to travel to' list. I just simply can't go to a place that has gaping holes that open up into deep black holes not that far from the surface. It freaks me out just thinking about the possibility of existing on only 100metre of earth and then nothingness. The fact that it was a result of man makes me feel a little better and the fact that it's not in NZ makes me feel much better, but even so.

Nature discovered what Man did and showed the world. Shame on you Man. Sorry Nature. Please stop freaking me out now!

You can check out the full story and more photos on this link:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/06/photogalleries/100601-sinkhole-in-guatemala-2010-pictures-world/#guatemala-city-sinkhole_21110_600x450.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment