22 June 2010

"The Blue Lagoon", "The Boat That Rocked" & "Bowfinger"


And the "B's" continue. It feels like we've been in the "B's" forever! There's still several to go before we get on to the "C's" and there's lots of them too. . . .

"The Blue Lagoon" is a movie that everyone laughs at when I say I own it. But I find it interesting that everyone knows exactly what movie I'm talking about.  Made in 1980, it's the movie that launched Brooke Shields into her stellar career. She was 15 years old when she did this movie alongside a very young and handsome Christopher Atkins.

If you've never seen the movie (or you're just pretending you haven't seen it to look cool in front of your mates) it's about two young children (I guess about 8 years old) that are shipwrecked on a deserted island along with an older man from their boat. After a few months the old man dies and they are left to grow up alone. Several years later they are starting to explore their new 'adult' bodies and find themselves falling love, having a baby and even walking away from ship sailing past.

Contrary to popular belief, they are not brother and sister. It's clearly spelt out at the beginning of the movie when they are on the sail boat. The movie focuses on that awkward puberty/teenage stage when they don't have anyone else to turn to or ask about what's going on within them. The relationship is that of friendship and develops into love. It appears to be a natural progression for the two. However the niggling Psychology training in the back of my head is wondering if they fall in love because they are the only one the other knows and has around. Although, if there was no chemistry it wouldn't matter. And it's only a movie, so I guess the psychology isn't really important.

To me, this is a beautiful movie about a pure and simple life and love. JP hadn't seen this before and it was interesting watching it with him. He made all sorts of 'man' comments and even some boy-ish comments about the puberty and love scenes. I didn't expect much less.

JP has recently introduced me to the Rotten Tomatoes website, which collates reviews on the movie and gives it an overall rating. "The Blue Lagoon" scored 13% and I think this is rather harsh. It's sweet and it's innocent. Perhaps it's all the young "bits" flying around under water?! Who knows.

I like it, so I say watch it. At least then you can give an honest reaction when someone asks you about the movie. You never know, you might surprise yourself and actually enjoy it. Don't worry, this isn't the end of "The Blue Lagoon" saga. I have the sequel "Return to the Blue Lagoon" as well. Look out for that when we get to the "R's".

Next is one of my all time favourites - "The Boat That Rocked". It's gotta be in my top 10 faves. I love it all - the music, the actors, the story. It even has a kiwi in it - Rhys Darby.

It's a brilliant British movies from the creators of "Love Actually" and "Notting Hill" - movies that I both love and own.

The story is set in the 60's when Rock n' Roll radio stations were outlawed and had to broadcast from ships anchored in the ocean. Radio Rock is one such ship, home to a group of eight random DJ's and crew, all male and the lesbian cook. They are living the high life - sex, drugs and rockn'roll. The government are trying to shut them down and will do whatever it takes to do it.

The music is fab - all classic 60's Rock n' Roll. The actors are all brilliant - Bill Nighy, Phillip Symour Hoffman, Nick Frost, Chris O'Dowd, Rhys Ifans and our own Rhys Darby. Along with a cameo by Emma Thompson. Each character is written wonderfully and acted brilliantly. I particualry enjoy the group scenes - they really feed well off of each other.

Kiwi comedian Rhys Darby is brilliant in this and really holds his own. His character is bit of a kooky nut that everyone pretends to find annoying. He has some great one liners. His character is evident of the amazing writers. His character could have been (and normally would have been) a one demential, insignificant, back ground character. But here the character is given room to be a fully fledged character. Rhys does kiwi's proud.

Rotten Tomatoes gives "The Boat That Rocked" 54% a pretty good rating for the site. However in my opinion there isn't much wrong with it and should be right up there around the 90% rating. I can't think of anything wrong with it to be completely honest with you - I just love it! I say you should WATCH IT! It's fun, the musics wicked, the actings brilliant and the story is very well written. If you don't watch it and love it, I'll eat my shorts.

Last night we launched  Monday Movie Madness - a little audience participation for our friends. In fact, if you want to join us you're welcome too. Every Monday at 7.30pm we're watching the next movie in the queue, just come along. ES, VR and JD joined us last night for the first movie - "Bowfinger".

"Bowfinger" is a comedy starring Steve Martin, Christine Branski, Eddie Murphy and Heather Graham. I like Heather Graham - mainly because she's got such a fabulous first name.

Bowfinger is a hollywood producer, or at least he believes he is. He works from his home with only a couple of thousand dollars to make a movie. He's found a script and a band of D-List actors and foreign crew. He just needs a big name star. When they can't get star Kit Ramsay he lies and says that he did. Now they have to film the movie around him, pretending that it's just his "method" not to be approached before filming. Let the hyjinx begin.

The first time I saw this I didn't enjoy it. I don't remember why, but now I do, again, not sure why. Christine Branski is great - so over the top. Steve Martin is the bumbling idiot producer, while Eddie Murphy plays up with his over the top facial expressions. Although one must admit that he is very good at what he does.

I can't think of much more to write about this movie. It's funny. That's about it. Nothing to write home to your mother about (Hi Mum). If you're looking for something to giggle at - this is a good one to watch.

Interestingly Rotten Tomatoes gave it 79% which I don't really understand. When I compare "The Boat That Rocked" and "Bowfinger, I'd much rather watch the former any day.

Take it or leave it. It's up to you.

Surprise, Surprise, there are more "B's" to come - The Boys From Brazil, Breakfast Club, Brick, Bring It On, A Bugs Life and The Butterfly Effect. And then, the "C's" - finally!

1 comment:

  1. Hi
    Just a comment about my comments on Blue lagoon. You giggled and laughed with every comment I made. So don't pretend you didn't missy.
    JP

    ReplyDelete