03 June 2010

"Batman Begins"

There's something strangely comforting about being on to the "B"'s in this project. It makes it feel like this is a real project and not just some crazy thing we decided to do on a whim (which it was) that we did once or twice and then didn't follow through on (which we havent' done).

"Batman Begins" is a movie that JP and I saw together at the movies and contrary to my norms I really enjoyed it.

Firstly, Christina Bale = yum. He would be definetly be on my "to do" list if he wasn't such an arse in real life. Ok, lets be honest, if he stepped into my room tonight and said "do me right now" I wouldn't say no. I did determine that he is much hotter when he's got a couple of days stubble rather than cleanshaven.

How does the story go I hear you asking. Well: This is the beginning (duh, it says that in the title) of the whole batman story. It shows Bruce Wayne as a 10 year old falling into a well on his families property. Bats come up out of the cave at the bottom of the well giving Bruce a fear of bats for life. A few days or weeks later he and his parents are mugged and his parents are shot dead. Cut to 14 years later and Bruce goes to the parole hearing of his parents killer. It's here that he realises how his name makes him a target and gives him unwanted status in Gotham City. So he disappears into Asian for 7 years. Enter Liam Neesons' character who finds him in a jail. He trains him to become a member of his elite league of fighting ningja-like soldiers, but once completed his training he chooses not to join them, but to return to Gotham City to fight the crimelords and take back his city.
With the help of his trusty butler Alfred (played wonderfully by Michael Cain) and the resourceful Mr Fox at Wayne Industries (another fabulous actor Morgan Freeman) he develops a persona that will hide his identity and help him to fight crime. He embraces his greatest fear and becomes BATMAN. (It was at about this point that I asked JP that if he was doing the same, would he be MUSICALMAN? hehe)
Batman takes on the crimanl warlords of Gotham City and manages to save the day by teaming up with a local cop (played by Gary Oldman) and with a few helpful nods from old childhood friend Rachel (the almost irritating Katie Holmes). The end is left wide open for the follow up movie - "The Dark Knight" which I am yet to see.

This movie has a very talented cast, all of whom can really hold their own and bring their characters to life - Christian Bale, Liam Neeson, Morgan Freeman, Michael Cain and Gary Oldman. They were only let down slightly by Katie Holmes. I can't watch her without thinking about her whiny teenage character on "Dawsons Creek" and her nutter of a husband Tom Cruise. She plays all her characters with the same sweet, innocent half smile. Meanwhile, I can't say enough about the men in this movie, other than they are all brilliant.

I really like this, I think because I like the backstory. The "how Batman became Batman" storyline. I do rather enjoy the rest of it too. Wow, I'm not so clever with the words tonight. I know I liked it, but can't really explain why in words that make any sense.

Lets just go with, I like it. Watch it if you're a Batman fan. You won't be disappointed.

Next Movie?: "The Bear". This is one of JP's that I've not seen or heard of before. I think it's a children's movie but I'm not 100% sure on that one. After that it's JP's dreaded "The Bee Movie". He hates it, so I'm rather looking forward to it. hehehe.

I also note that JP is rather behind on his reviews - in fact I don't think I've seen one since "The Actors". I guess he has a lot of catching up to do this long weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment