07 May 2011

Day 20: Food

Ever since I set these prompts I assumed I'd talk about what food I love to eat, or possibly what food I love to cook. But this morning I remembered how much fun I had photographing food when John made blueberry pancakes over the summer.


Photographing food doesn't sound difficult. It's a subject you can mold or pose to your own chosing. It doesn't fidget or move. But, there's so much more that goes on with food. You can totally tell in a photo if the food isn't fresh. It just looks flat and stale. If you want the steam to show the heat you need to work quickly and if you don't want the soufle to fall you must tread lightly. Photographing food while it's cooking is also difficult. You get steam, splutters, the chefs hands, all sorts of things "in the way". It takes alot of manuevering and certain amount of quick thinking because you can't stop for a few minutes and start over.


Timing is important. Also important, don't eat it as you photograph it!


What I love best about food photography above all else is the colour. There is amazing colour in food, especially natural food - fruits and veges are the best of all. I love colour, so it's almost a pefect medium for me. Plus food is familiar and can easily connect with it's viewer (ok better stop all the food photography gushing, I'm starting to sound like a pretenious art critic).


I haven't done much food photography, but I'm keen to see what else I can do with it. Here are a few extracts from the blueberry pancakes:

Blueberries from the Blueberry Farm in Upper Hutt.  

Berry Sauce 

 Blueberry Pancakes

Pancake Ingredients

More of the blueberry pancakes 

Jam
(Jam, Jam, Jamity, Jam, Jam!)

No comments:

Post a Comment