01 May 2011

Dark City, The Dark Crystal & The Day After Tomorrow

Dark City is a movie of John's that I really enjoyed. Once again I was pleasantly surpirsed. Either John's taste in movies isn't so bad after all or I'm becoming a little more open in my own tastes.

John Murdoch wakes up in a bathtub in a motel room with no memory of who he is or why he's there. He quickly learns that there a men coming for him, he's been accused of murder and he even has a wife he doesn't remember. The men after him are the creators of the city that has no sun, and appears to change with every day. He must work out who he is and what this nightmare is really about.

Rufus Sewell stars as John Murdoch. He isn't as popular as he should be. Who can resist such a dark, sexy, smouldering man?! And he's talented to boot. He's supported by a great cast of strong actors - Kiefer Sutherland as the strange Dr caught in between the hero and weird city creators, Jennifer Connelly as the calm, innocent wife and William Hurt as the police detective hunting down John Murdoch.

Unlike lots of movies that spend so long on the beginning of the story, only to rush through the middle and end, this movie tells a great job of setting up the story, playing it through and giving you a decent ride at the end. It confirms or denys your susupicions, it shows you how it did it and you leave it feeling that you were told a good story with a decent ending. I like a good movie that shows you what they had been building up to the whole time. It definetly makes for worthy movie in my book.

This movie is dark and twisty and very strange I'll give you that. I always love a story about the future or what the world could be like, so this one was a good one for me. I do like a movie that has a bit more colour and light, but I guess I can't have everything!

I'd definetly recommend this one to those of you that enjoy a good mystrey. It's not a story you've seen hundreds of times before, so you'll be like me - pleasantly surprised.

The Dark Crystal is a Jim Henson movie. Jim Henson was a talented puppeter, he was the artist behind the Muppets, a staple of my childhood. Unfortunetly while I adore the Muppets, I can't say the same for much else of his work.

Years ago the Dark Crystal was shattered, forming two factions - The evil Skeksis and the peaceful Mystics. Jen is the last Gelfing and it is up to him to return the last shard of the crystal before the three suns eclipse. Of course his journey is not at all easy and he makes some new friends along the way.

The most amazing thing about this movie, and the thing that had me in awe the entire time, even when the story did not, was that the entire movie is filmed with puppets. None of this CGI bolloxs we see so often nowadays, but real puppets. Of course it dates itself by doing so - made in 1982. Even so, the puppetry is outstanding and very impressive, stilted slightly, but they are puppets!

I found the story to be a little boring, I wasn't really that interested in some strange being saving weird looking beings by placing a piece of glass with other glass. It just wasn't my cup of tea at all. Had I been slightly younger I could have enjoyed this. Even as I type that I know it's not really true. I guess this is just one of those movies that appeals to a particular type of audience rather than trying to go for the mainstream viewers. And good on it for doing so, I'm just not one of them. If you're a fan of Jim Henson, puppets, or weird 80's childrens movies then check this one out. If not, I don't think you'll be missing anything by not watching it.

The Day After Tomorrow is one of my favourtie movies ever. It's from the same director as Independence Day, another favourite.

Climatologist Jack Hall predicts a cataclysmic weather shift that will see the next ice age brought upon the world. In about a thousand years that is, until some major polar shifts bring the timeframe forward dramatically. Tornadoes wipe out LA, devastaing Earthquakes and Volcanoes wipe out islands and storms are forming all over the globe. Meanwhile Jack's son Sam is in New York for a school competition. When the tsunami hits he manages to convince a few followers to stay in the New York Library and wait out the storm. Jack briefs the government on what to do before heading to New York in a bid to rescue his son from the deadly storm.

This movie stars the fabulous Dennis Quaid as the heroic Jack Hall and the gorgeous Jake Gyllenhaal as his son Sam. Emmy Rossum is the delightfull Laura and Sela Ward stars as Sams Mum Dr Lucy Hall. Also putting in appearances are Jay Saunders and Dash Mihok, not actors that I really know at all, but both are a good fit with Dennis Quaid as the team that would walk from Philadelphia to New York in a life threatening blizzard.

I enjoy the dramatics of this movie even if they can be a little farfetched. I'm talking about the tsunami that's racing towards the kids, but they still manage to run back, grab a handbag from a taxi, get slightly stuck and then run in to the library. I'm "sure" it's really a slow tsunami?! Or what about the wolves that escape the zoo, manage to survive the tsunami and the blizard and then attack the kids on the ship. Oh yes, the ship that managed to turn all those corners of New York, only to get stuck on a bus convienently in front of the library. Like I said, not overly believable, but we are watching a movie about a weather system that's destroying the world, so I guess there's a little room for the suspension of disbelief.

I love the dramatics of it all. When Jack tells the president to evacuate everyone below the line he's drawn on the map, and his offsider tells them that his son is above the line. Or when Sam and his mates are racing along the library halls to get back to the fire as the library is freezing. Ok, so that one should probably go on the category above, you see what I mean?! It's all very dramatic and sensationalist.

You should watch it if you can get over the theatricality of it. It's a good watch and very entertaining. You start to wonder if this could really happen?! It probably could at some point, but not any time soon (I hope). It's a rollercoaster ride, a great watch. You'll enjoy it. Probably. Maybe. I did anyway.

I was going to do more reviews, but I've been summoned to watch our last D movie - Dune. It's a long one apparently, so better get started soon. Coming up I have reviews for Death at a Funeral, DeJaVu and Deep Impact, along with the rest of the D's.

No comments:

Post a Comment