23 August 2010

Late night airport pick ups

Last night I went to the airport to pick up Mum. She'd been to Australia for a five day get away to catch up with an old friend and I had dropped her off and agreed to pick her up again.

She arrived in at 11.30pm and came straight from Sydney to Wellington. Those of you that know Wellington International Airport will know that not many international flights come in to Wellington and it's therefore pretty small. In fact it's probably about the same size as any domestic gate in the rest of the airport.

I love to do the airport pick ups because I'm always reminded of the movie 'Love Actually'. At the beginning of the movie they show all these pictures of people coming through the gates at airports and the people there greeting them. They talk about how everyone is so happy and excited to see the people they are meeting. You can sense the love. I always loved this bit of the movie because not only is it true but I thought that even before the movie said it.

Last night as I waited for Mum to emerge I watched all the sleepy looking people waiting for their friends and family to emerge. Given the time of night there was a lot of single people and lots of shuttle service men waiting around.

I watched as a family of 5 emerged and the children raced into Grandad and Grandma's arms. The smiles absolutely huge, and the kids were pretty chuffed too.

I watched a group of three young adults holding up a sign saying "Welcome back Baldwins" and then a young couple emerge in giggles and laughter. Honeymooners returning home perhaps?

There was the Mum and Daughter who greeted a young woman and her baby. The baby got all the love and attention and the young woman looked pleased to have some help and attention.
There were lots of gentle hugs and kisses from couples and families in what looked like a not so prolonged absense. Probably much like me coming to pick up my Mum after a short trip.

No matter what tho, everyone that had someone to greet or meet them hugged and/or kissed hello, with a beaming smile. It was so comforting and nice to see such happiness in people.

No matter what else is going on in the world around us or in our lives, if you go to the airport and sit in the arrivals area you'll see this happening - domestic or international it doesn't matter. Try is some time. Oh and watch "Love Actually" - even if you just watch the beginning bit and the end bit where they are at the airport and you'll see what I'm talking about.

And this is why if you ever ask me to pick you up from the airport I'll say yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment