23 August 2010

"Cars" & "Casablanca"

"Cars" is another Pixar movie and another personal favourite. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I love Pixar movies! They are so much more than cartoons. There is something in every Pixar movie for everyone. This is the 2006 offering from Pixar. They've come a long way since "Toy Story" in 1998 and they do so much more between then and 2010's offering of "Toy Story 3".

"Cars" is about a rookie racing car that comes third equal in the Piston Cup finally. While on his way to the finale destination he gets seperated from his truck and ends up in Radiator Springs, a small town off route 66, scared and ripping up the town roads. Rather than getting on his way he is sentenced to fix the road before he can leave.

Every character in the movies is a vehicle. A car, a truck, a van, a fire engine, a helicopter etc. Even the little 'bugs' flying around are VW bugs. It seems so silly and yet it all makes sense while watching it. If they had even a single person the whole premise would be ridiculous, but there isn't so it seems plausible somehow. The great thing about "Cars" is that it was a fresh idea. I hadn't seen a movie done where everyone and everything was a car. The trailors made me wonder if it was really going to work, if perhaps Pixar had gone to far of the wack-o-meter with this one. But somehow they managed to pull it off.

"Cars" stars several great actors for the voices - Owen Wilson voices Lighting McQueen. Bonnie Hunt, Paul Newman, Michael Keaton also voice characters, along with John Ratzenberger who has voiced a character in every Pixar movie made so far.

There is a gentle love story playing in the background of the main story. The main character learns that life isn't always about winning, but about where you fit in the world. The underlining themes are good ones for children to be exposed too.

I'm not sure what else to say about this one, other than you should watch it. It's just lots of fun, light, interesting and very entertaining. It's totally kid friendly and adult entertaining as well. Watch it. You'll love it. I do.


Next up was "Casablanca". This is one of JP's and the last one of his before entering a 7-Heather-DVD run.

I've always wanted to see "Casablanca" but never gotten a chance to do so. It's the romantic movie that everyone talks about. And by everyone I mean those that make movies and tv shows. It's always tauted as one of THEE romantic movies ever. The name Casablanca is always associated with romance. Can you think of 'Casablanca' without thinking 'romance'?

"Casablanca" is a classic black-and-white movie set during the second world war in Casablanca, Morroco. Humphrey Bogart's character is an American running a popular bar and restrauant in the town that is the exit point for people trying to flea the continent to get to Europe and America. Ingrid Bergman plays the ex-lover of Humphery's who happens to walk into the bar with her husband. They can't leave straight away and they realise that they are still in love. What do they do now? Will they get out of Casablanca together? Or at all?

Watching this I couldn't help but wonder what the colour of the set was like. To me Morroco is a vibrant, colourful place. I can only imagine what it was like during the war and what it would have been like while making the movie. I don't know if the black-and-white was something I liked or something I didn't. It did at least add this romantic quality to the movie. I also noticed that whenever Ingrid Bergman was shot alone they shot her with soft lens so that the she looked more beautiful and sweet. Only it was rather obvious I thought.

The storyline was easy to follow, although I did get confused with who was the bad guy and who wasn't and why they couldn't get out of Morroco. Oh well.

I'm also not sure why this is tauted as the most romantic movie of all time, or one of them at least. It's a good movie and yes it's romantic, but I'm just not sure about the cult status that it has. It did spawn one of Humphrey's famous lines "Here's looking at you kid". It was pretty cool to see it just for that to be honest.

You should watch it. I think everyone should be able to say that they've seen "Casablanca". It's a cult classic and if for no other reason than it's a classic you should do it. Of course you might be a little lighter and a little more romantic than me and really love it for it's sweet side.

We've watched "Catch Me If You Can" and "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", but it's late and I don't want to rush those reviews. So I promise to do them tomorrow night or early next week once I get home from my three days away for work. Next up for watching for us is "Cheaper by the Dozen" and (you can bet JP's excited about this) "Cheaper by the Dozen 2". Then we have the first official musical (another one JP's not looking forward too) "Chicago". The last 2 in the 7-Heather-DVD run are two chickens - "Chicken Little" and "Chicken Run". I love the C's.

No comments:

Post a Comment