12 August 2010

Art inspiration

I've been watching a new American reality show online "Work of Art: The Next Big Artist". It follows the same format as "Top Chef" which I am also obsessed with. I was a little skeptical at first about how this show could work, art is so subjective. But it's actually pretty good. In each episode they are challenged to create a piece of art within the parameters of the theme or idea of the week. One week they had to design a book cover for a classic book. The winner had theirs published. Another week they had to use only materials found in a children's art room to create a piece of work that showed how they grew as artists from childhood. Another week they had to create a piece of installation art for an empty outdoor space in New York City. Another week they had to use nature to inspire a piece of art and they had include a piece of nature in the work.

They have a showing of their work and then are judged by a panel consisting of an art critic, a gallery owner, an artist and some high-society chic I've never seen before. They tend to be judged on the merits of the art piece, the construction and their impressions of it. They don't let their own personal "I liked it" or "I didn't like it" get in the way of their critiques.

Interestingly I've found myself thinking about how I would approach the themes and challenges each week. I'm certainly not an accomplished, trained or experienced artist and I dont' think I'm anywhere near as clever as these artists, but I do think I'm artistic and I think it would interesting to do some of these works.

I haven't painted in quite some time despite having some good ideas. I don't seem to have the motivation to get out my paints and paint again. I think that if I did get out the paints and paint that would actually motivate me. I have done some abstract drawing since I last painted, but not recently. Recently I have become more interested in photography and the art that can be created with it. I've bought a stunning DSLR camera and as you'll know from posts below, I'm adoring my new macro lens.

I'd like to incorporate my photography, drawing and painting together. Perhaps I should talk to my art student family members for some ideas, or perhaps I should just pick up a pencil or paint brush and see what happens.

2 comments:

  1. Where do you watch this? I want to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.tv-dome.net/category/work-of-art-the-next-great-artist/

    It's the TV-Dome website. There are 10 episodes.

    Let me know what you think :)

    ReplyDelete