15 April 2010

My reliance on my cell phone

Oh my god, how annoying is it when you leave your cell phone at home?! It really makes me stop and think how reliant I am on my phone and is that really a good thing?

I left it on the charger this morning and tootled off to work without it.

To contact Mum's bf about getting my car fixed I had to call Mum for his number. She was busy so I had to wait for her to call back. Then finally I get his number, call him and tell him to call me at work and not my cell. Later, Mum emails me to tell me what he's told her about my car (that the mechanic has told him). Are you keeping up so far, or do you need a diagram?! Then I reply to her and she replies to him. Then I call him to arrange pick up. All of this I could have done via txt with him directly. Sheesh.

Then I'm going out to a work function in Upper Hutt and I don't know the area at all, plus I may or may not have a car, so may or may not be able to make it. So on my way, I borrow Mum's bf's phone to call one of the girls to let her know I AM coming and for directions. I tell her that if I get lost I'll pull over at the nearest dairy for directions, but if I don't show up, nothing she can do about it, cause i have no phone. I make it there ok (only got lost once and found my way back with my map book).

Then on the way home I go along the main roads instead of over the back roads and hills "just in case" my car konks out and I need help. No cell phone means no way of calling the AA.

Of course, I've been able to do all my tasks today without my cell phone, and as spring chicken as I am, I do remember when we didn't have cell phones. But blimey, it would have been so much easier today if I had mine.

What's the first thing I did when I got home?! Put my phone in my handbag! No way is it staying home tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment