16 April 2010

"Curtains" at PLT




Tonight I went to the theatre with old friends. Growing up we all worked backstage, front of stage, on costumes and in props. We even dabbled with places on the management committee. We were often "told off" for drinking at the after show parties while were were still under age and even better "told off" for talking while backstage. I lost a tooth when I was 10 and backstage, and even had my first kiss behind the curtains.

But, it's been several years since I did any theatre work. I lived further away then I did growing up and life just got so hectic. It really does take up a lot of time working on a show!

We went to see "Curtains" tonight. It's a musical about a theatre group that is staging a show when one of the cast is murdered. They are sequested to stay at the theatre until the case is solved. What I couldn't work out was if the show was funny because it was funny or if it was funny because it was bad. It had some stellar moments - particularly the actress that played the 3 characters - 2 of them being men, and the two male chorus members that were "in love" - very funny.

Now I'm thinking that it might be time for me to get back in the theatre game. It's a great thing to get involved in, especially in the winter when nothing much else is going on. The next show is a play - a little tamer than a major musical. Hmmm, now to bribe the production manager to let me back in. I'm not 14yrs old anymore, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment