30 April 2010

Lost: One Pair of Glasses. Culprit: Wgtn Wind

I arrived at work this morning to find my new workmate Suzy a little flumxed. She'd arrived early and like the good soul that she is, she'd braved the fierce Wellington wind to put out the company flag in small garden outside our front door (the only form of office branding we currently possess.)

What happened next I don't really understand how it happened. It's like a scene out of a hollywood movie.

As she places the flag on the small pole, her prescription sunglasses are swiped off her head by the crazy wind and wiped up into the air and raced off in to the distance.

I can't believe it, it's such a crazy scenario. So, I volunteer to walk up the road (state highway 2 I might mention!). I walked about 800 meters up the road, looking in the gutters, the drains, under cars and along the ditches.

No glasses in sight.

Along the way I have one hand on my own glasses, fearing that I might loose my own glasses and the other on my scarf, hoping that I won't fall victim to the Wellington wind.

On my return I notice a pool of workmates around the office. All arriving at the office and upon hearing the story of the missing glasses, are out in the street searching for glasses. It was almost a team meeting out on the path on the side of State Highway 2.

One workmate crawled around the parking lot of the neighbouring printing company and another was searching along the side of train tracks at the back of the office.

We even conned the staff of the neighbouring companys into helping us search.

Alas. No glasses were found. But we did find something - a strange sense of team commraderie. The search bonded us somehow. All of us bonded together to search for the missing glasses. I'm not entirely sure if it was because we are a team, or if we just all found the situation so bizaree that we wanted to be part of it. Either way, it made for an interesting start to a Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment