26 April 2011

Day 9: Peace

If you asked someone what 'peace' means to them, they'll tell you it's happiness and calm on earth. They aren't wrong on the happiness and calm fronts, but I think it's both cliche and naive to say 'on earth'. Yes of course that would be great, but it's a bit idealistic. It's also not very honest. How many of you say that just because you think that's what you're supposed to say? While I commend those that actually make a practical step towards this ideal 'peaceful' world in a way that makes sense to them (either through military service, volunteering or career) I don't understand those that protest unpeacefully for peace, or those that ask for donations to aid 'peace studies', or those that just jump on the bandwagon beause they think that's what they should do.

I think it's naive to believe that one person's or one groups efforts is going to make a world difference. One country probably has more luck, but how much more really? I guess I sound pessimistic but what I'm really getting at is that if you say you believe in something, then believe in it. If you want 'world peace' then do something about it. Something practical. But don't jump on the badnwagon just because you think you sould or because you think that's what you're supposed to do.

Personally I believe that we should all start with ourselves. With anything, not just peace. If we can honestly say that we are 'peaceful' or know how to find 'peace' within ourselves, then we are better equiped to go out and help others to find it too.

For me, I find peace in all sorts of things. I find peace in going home at the end of the day to a normal night in. I find peace in a good book, a funny movie or while laughing with friends. Peace is in the calmness - the weekend days where I have nothing I have to do, when I can potter around doing whatever I want with no where to go and no where to be. I feel peaceful when I pick up my camera, or sit down with friends, and especially when I get to spend time with children.

Children see life in such a simplistic way. Things are either up or down, black or white, yes or no. Children love to draw, play with legos, read books, bake muffins, make forts, climb trees. All those things that adults find tedious. I too enjoy them and while I've always loved hanging out with children, it's only been in the last few years that I've learnt the art of really embracing my inner child. Have you ever noticed that a child will bend down and watch a snail crawl by? They will pick up a leaf and watch in wonderment as it twists away in the wind. They will play with the wrapping paper long after the toy is forgotten. Children have no sense of time and a great sense of wonderment about everything around them. As adults we forget this and instead we should remember it.

For me, I find peace and an inner sense of calm when I remember these thoughts. I challenge you to stop and really look at a rose next time you see one. Look at it, smell it, touch it. And if you can really do this and not worry about the fact that you just took 2 minutes to actually see a rose, you'll start to feel that calm I was talking about. Of course, a rose might not work for you, but do you get the idea? Forget what you believe you should be doing, and do what you want too. If you do, you'll find your inner calm, your inner peace will follow shortly behind. Perhaps then you'll be in a more powerful position to spread peace to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment