19 April 2011

Day 2: My most embarrasing moment

hmmmm, my most embarrasing moment. You know I don't think I ever really get so embarassed about something that I hold on to it and continue to be embarrased by it. Don't get my wrong I definetly have embarrassing moments (like the time I heard my workmate Linda answer the phone, then I answered the next call saying I was Linda. I would have rolled with it, but the caller knew Linda so I had to explain I wasn't actually her after all). But, I don't have many moments that I look back on an still feel embarrased about, mostly I look back and laugh.

Picking an embarrasing moment to share came down to two moments. The first one I'm going to tell you about and the second was what prompted the creation of my own hangover rule - "If you don't remember it happening, it didn't happen."

So here's my most embarrasing moment story:

It was 1997 (I think) during the school holidays. I had my sister Lee (only 11 years old) with me as I went into the city with my friends. We were going to the movies, but stopped off to get some McDonalds for lunch first. We went over to sit in Civic Square to eat. It must have been raining or cold because we sat in the entranceway to the town hall. I hadn't told anyone but for weeks I had been suffering from some major migraines, dizzy spells and vomiting.

While eating lunch I started to get very dizzy, but tried to shake it off. Unfortunetly I couldn't shake off the vomitting that followed. I still vividly remember standing on the steps and vomitting over and over again. Ele was holding my hair back while everyone else had fled the area. Lee was screaming and crying from worry while the others tried to work out what to do. I can see the faces of passerbys that were watching too. (Why did no one come over and see if we needed help?!)

Lee, Tracy and whoever else was there went to police station that is around the corner from Civic Square. Ele stayed with me while I continued to vomit everywhere. I'm not sure how long it took, but next thing I remember is sitting on the ground with my head in my hands and the police officer crouched in front of me asking me if I had been drinking. He questioned all my friends what I'd had to drink. I was so dizzy I couldn't speak, but I remember everyone insisting I hadn't been drinking anything at all (and I hadn't!)

Mr Policeman stands me up with the help of my friends and they walk me back to the police station. I remember walking along with Tracy holding me up on one side and the police officer on the other. When we got to the police station Dad was there. I'm not sure if they gave me water, made Dad sign anything or what the story was, but I do remember getting in to Dad's car, saying to him that he got there very fast and he replied saying "When the police ring and say they are bringing your 16 year old daughter in, you get there fast."

I remember being sooooo embarrased at the time. Embarrased that I was so sick I threw up in public, that I couldn't talk to the police officer I was so sick, that he thought I was drunk, that strangers were staring and assuming I was just another drunk teenager and that I was carried to a police station. These days I'm not so embarrased by it because if it was not for this incident I may not have sought medical treatment for what I now know is a major allergy to cocoa and oranges. After this incident I completely cut them out of my diet and haven't had a major episode since that fateful afternoon.

Granted I've had a few more moments that I still feel embarrased about, but this is by far the most publicly and spectacularly embarrasing moment of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment