23 May 2010

My First Opera

Last night I went to my first opera. JP, his gf RC and I went to see "The Marriage of Figaro" at the St James Theatre. Opera has never really tickled my fancy, so I agreed to go because JP wanted to go. However, over the last week or so I've learnt more about the story and had started looking forward to the experience.

It was stunning.

The costumes were brilliant, the set was simply amazing - such a fabulous use of the space and flats. The singing was beautiful - while opera isn't usually my musical genre of choice, you can't help but be mesmerised by the sheer power behind the voices. Of course it was all in Itlian, which is beautiful and so romantic sounding, but also so much better than if they sung it in English. I say this because the translation on the screens on the sides and above the stage were informative, but not beautiful.

It's over 3 hours long and was first staged in 1786. There was something about knowing that it is 226 years old that makes it more magical. The length however did mean that I was starting to fidget by the last act, in fact most of the audience was.

We were sitting right at the top of the Gods section, but apart from the potential vertigo problem it really didn't matter. We could see the stage perfectly.

Operas still aren't my number one choice of music or entertainment, but I wouldn't say no to going again. It was pretty special and I was really glad that I went.



No comments:

Post a Comment