09 May 2010

"40 Days and 40 Nights"



Another Josh Hartnett movie! I can't think what else he's been in, other than these two movies?! Anyway. . .
JP wasn't feeling 100% and I was looking to just chill out on a lazy Saturday afternoon, so we popped in the next movie in the list - "40 Days and 40 Nights".

It stars one of my faveourite actresses - Maggie Gyllenhal, in the role of the "best friend" and she's very underutilised. Shoshana something-or-rather is the new girl on the scene for the lead character, and like Josh Hartnett, the only two movies I can think of that I've seen here in are this one and "A Knights Tale".

This is another chick flick that I bought because at the time I thought it was great. Watching it again now after a few years (yes I own movies that I don't watch very often) I've realised that it's a little crude and not nearly as "cool" now that I'm a little older and a little wiser.

The basic plotline is that Matt has broken up with his girlfriend and goes on a sexual rampage, but it doesn't help in the "feeling better" department. So he decides to give up sex and sex-like activities for lent. This is of course when he met the girl of his dreams. Meanwhile, his mates find out about his pledge, and set up an elaborate betting system around when and how he'll break his new no-sex vow. He procedes to date this new girl, without any sex. Males being males, he struggles with the no-sex policy. Again, I'm not going to ruin the ending for you, but after 40 days is up, all returns to normal.

Like I say, it's a wee bit crude and at times, cringe worthy. I think it was made for teenagers to laugh at. It was fine for watching on a Saturday afternoon, but it's not one that really sticks in your mind. I guess it's a good one if you like that sort of thing. I'm a bit ambivilant about it to be honest.

Next movie?! "50 First Dates". One of my faves. yay! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment