11 May 2010

"50 First Dates" & "The Actors"



"50 First Dates" is one of my favourite movies. I've watched it so many times I could probably say the lines along with the characters. I'm not sure what it is about the movie, but I love it.

Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore are a good combo, they seem to spark off each other. They are believeable and sweet and comedic all in one.

The story is about a perpetual bachelor that meets the girl of his dreams, only to discover that she has a brain condition that won't allow her to retain short term memories. Effectively her memory "resets" every night when she goes to sleep. Each day this guy trys to get her attention. He makes a video for her to watch and works with her family to change her life so that she doesn't have the same day over and over. After a while she deletes him from her journals in an attempt to let him move on with his life. When he finally leaves on a big sailing trip he turns around and comes back to her because she's started having memories of him, or more like he's familiar to her. My description here makes it sound like it's a really dramatic and sad movie, but its totally the opposite - with Adam Sandler, how could it be anything but funny?!

It's set in beautiful Hawaii and very light and funny. Spoiler Alert: I love this movie because it doesn't do what most typical hollywood movies would do, and have her regain her short term memories at the end so that they can all live happily ever after. They do live happily ever after, but she does'nt regain her memories, and that is so much more realistic than any other ending, and that's why it's a good movie. I love that this guy is so captivated by this girl that he goes to great measures to get her to talk to him and to fall in love with him every day - it's just to sweet :)

I enjoy Rob Schiender in this movie, JP does not, but I think he's rather good and that totally goofy native friend. Adam Sandler always has his friends in his movies, namely - Rob Schiender, Kevin James and the guy that plays "10 second Tom" (I don't know the actors name). It also stars Sean Astin who is great as the steroid using brother with a lisp.

I love Drew Barrymore. I've only just realised this now. I love everything she does and I find her so sweet and believable. Or maybe she just does movies that I like?! hmmmm.

I love that the main character had a pet penguin - I want one!

I have one question though - is Alexa really a guy or a girl?! I've never been able to work it out for sure! haha

I really could go on and on about this movie, but I won't. Only to say - see it! At the very least, it's good for a giggle.

We watch "50 First Dates" on Sunday night and then on Monday night we watched our very first letter - "The Actors".



"The Actors" is one of JP's movies that I've seen before. I don't remember the last time I actually watched it, but I have a feeling that I didn't enjoy it for whatever reason. This time though, I thought it was great. Maybe I was just in a better frame of mind, or I appreciated the comedy this time around. Who knows.

The story is about an actor that finds out a local crimnal owes money to another crimnal but they've never met. So he convinces his other actor friend to intervene as the other crimnal to steal the money. The only problem is that the crimnals realise something is wrong, meaning the actors have to up the ante and act out more and more roles in an attempt to get away with it.

It stars Dylan Moran and Michael Cain as the actors and they are brilliant. A break through star of this movie is the 9 year old niece that narrates the movie and schools the men in their plan. She's brilliant, and the linchpin of the whole operation.

I found myself slapping my thigh on numerous occasions. Michael Cain and particulary Dylan Moran give great perfomances. Dylan Moran is so deadpan in a lot of his delivery which makes it so hilarious. In the movie he ends up playing the part of at least 4 other characters other than his overall character.

This one is definetly worth a look. It's humourous in an English, not-Hollywood way, and that's always a welcome change. Go on, check it out, go on, do it!

Next movie? "The Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert" Wahoooo, this will be interesting. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment