29 May 2010

"American Gangster" & "Angels & Demons"

The next movie in the Alphabetical Movie Project is "American Gangster". Another one of JP's movies that I've not seen before.

The first thing I have to say about this is; it's LOOOOOOOOONG. Just when you think it has reached a natural ending place it keeps going, which in the end just frustrates you rather than watching the neverending storyline.

The basic story is about a man that worked for a local gangster and decided to take over from him at his death. It's during the Vietnam war and drugs are readily available, so this gangster uses the US Army to smuggle the drugs into the US. Meanwile a disgraced cop is set the task of tracking him down, which he eventually does.

I'm sure JP will have a much longer and more accurate recounting of the storyline for you to read. Personally I was over it well before the end.

I've never been a big Russell Crowe fan. I just can't watch things he's in without thinking about what a twat he is in real life. In saying that I can concede that he is a pretty good actor. Denzel Washington is also brilliant and I really enjoy everything he does. This is the first time that I've watched something of his that he played "the bad guy" and I just couldn't believe him, he's just to sweet and loveable.

I don't remember who else was in it, or what else happened, which only really tells me that it's a movie that didn't really mean anything to me. Going on JP's rating system, it'd get a good old 1 monkey from me = that's 2 monkeys for starring Denzel Washington and minus 1 monkey for taking 2&1/2 hours of my life that I'll never get back.


"Angels & Demons" is lucky to be next in the project. JP and I went shopping at Real Groovy so he could find a couple of obscure DVD's he's been looking for for a while. He didn't find any of them but I walked away with "Angels & Demons". Under the rules of the project, any newly bought DVD's slot into their alphabetical space OR are placed at the end of the line if they are for a letter already watched. "Angels & Demons" just made it in as the NEXT movie to be watched! Phew!!

"Angels & Demons" is based on the Dan Brown prequel to "The Da Vinci Code" (which I also own). I haven't read either book as I've heard from various people that they aren't as good as the hype seemed to make them. I like this prequel much better than "The Da Vinci Code". It's much faster paced.

The story is about Robert Landon, a symbologist who is asked to come to the Vatican City during the formalities that follow the death of a pope. It would appear the infamous Illumanti has reappeared, kidnapped 4 cardinals and stolen a canister of anti-matter. They are threatening to kill the cardinals and to blow up the Vatican City. Its up to Robert Landon to follow a set of clues left centuries ago by the Illumanti (a group of scholars set to de-bunk religion).

Firstly I love love love Tom Hanks. Everything he does he does so well. He's one of the few actors that I totally believe everytime I watch him. It also stars another one of my favourite actors and a feature on my "to do" list - Ewan MacGregor. He too, is amazing and so good at making me believe he really is the person he's portraying.

Secondly, I know they aren't real, but I love the idea of the Illumanti. I really enjoy the story of the Illumanti and the clues that they follow in order to find the church of the illumanti.

I'm not a religious person and I don't believe in God. I find it very difficult to "believe" in something that I can't see, feel or hear, or that no one has (and for you religious types out there, no comments please. I respect your opinion and faith, please respect mine.) One line I like in particular is when Ewan MacGregors character who is the Priest that assists the Pope asks Tom Hanks Character "Do you believe in God?" and he replies "Faith is a gift I am yet to recieve." That's how I feel sometimes and I think that's why I really connect to the storyline.

This movie isn't a classic or a masterpiece, but to me it connects to the part of me that doesn't believe and yet can't help but wondering if I should.

Coming up next in the Alphabetical Movie Project - "The Ant Bully" and "Antz". Finally we get to some of the many children's animations I own. Yay :)

No comments:

Post a Comment