01 September 2010

Handbags vs Men

Women carry handbags. Men don't. Notice the difference?

I can not leave the house without my handbag. Generally I have in my handbag - cell phone, keys, wallet, camera, a hair tie, lip balm, concealer, moistureiser, tampons, tissues and sunglasses. At a push I will take just keys, wallet and phone. But that's if only necessary. You never know what you're going to need and when, and I really hate to need something and not have it. A hair tie is usually the biggest thing I miss out and really really need.

Meanwhile, Men can leave the house with no bag at all. Just a key (that's ONE key) a small wallet and a cell phone in their pocket. That's all they need, or could possibly need. Do they know they won't need more than that? Do they assume that if they need anything else they can find it or buy it? Do they just not care?

I envy that men don't need handbags to carry all their crap, or that they survive on being so minimalistic .

And don't get me started on overnight bags or luggage for a trip. Men take hardly anything at all. A backpack will do for a long weekend while I'll take a trolley bag. Going for longer? A guy will take a pack, or perhaps a medium suitcase while I'll take the largest suitcase I can find.

It's the same mentality - Women need an outfit for every possible occasion and every weather possibility, multiple shoes, lots of makeup, hair products etc, etc, etc, etc. While men need a change of clothes and that's it.

My flatmate went out for the evening to 'boys night'. Knowing I was home, he took his cell phone and that was it. His girlfriend rang, asking him to come over because she's sick so he got one of the boys to drop him off. The next day he accompanies her to the hospital with only the clothes he was wearing the day before and his cell phone. And he survived the day. It can't have been easy, but doable. Could you have done it?! Probably. So, now I'm thinking - we don't need all this guff that we carry around with us. OR - always take your handbag wherever you go!

No comments:

Post a Comment