28 September 2010

"City of Ember", "The City of Lost Children", "Click" & "Cloudy with a chance of Meat Balls"

"The City of Ember" is a recent edition to my top 10 movies. I think it's brilliant, it's quirky and it's very well done. 

When the world was facing distruction (from radiation or meteor's or something of the sort) Ember was build deep in the centre of the earth. The mayor was given a box to pass down until 200 years had passed at which time it would open giving instructions on how to leave Ember and get to the surface. Only problem is that the box was lost when the seventh mayor died suddenly. Meanwhile the city is starting to fall apart. One teenager has a desire to fix the city and one has a desire to discover what is beyond it. They discover the box and try to decipher the instructions together.

The two stars of this movie are unknown actors - Harry Treadaway and Saoirse Ronan (who went on to be the star of "The Lovely Bones"). They are supported by Bill Murray, Tim Robbins and Mary Kay Place. They are all well established and brilliant actors that do a fantastic job, but really support the young cast to shine.

This wonderful movie not only gives you an idea of what the future may possibly come to, but shows that there is always hope that humanity will survive. We are very resourceful after all. I love that the main characters just know that there must be more to life in their dark city and perservere to find it.

The movie is fun and it's quirky. I really enjoy watching it again and again. I always feel excited when they make it to the end. I don't really know what else to say about it to express how much I love this movie - like I said, it's in my fave top ten. Just watch it, you won't be dissapointed.

"The City of Lost Children" is a french movie and yes that's with  french subtitles. This is one of JP's fave movies and he uses it as his 'test' movie for any potential new girlfriend. If she is willing to watch it with him then they get points and if they like it then they get major brownie points. Good news for RC is that she liked it and so she got to stay.

Krank is an evil scientist that can not dream. He kidnaps children to steal their dreams. Meanwhile One has is looking for his lost little brother. With the help of the young Miette he searches for his brother, rescues the children and stops Krank from stealing childrens dreams.

I've seen this movie before (I assume it was JP that showed it to me and not as a girlfriend test) so it made a lot more sense to me this time around. Subtitled movies always remind me of how often I watch a movie while doing something else. I can't do anything else when I have to read the words on the screen while watching the movie.

I didn't recognise any of the actors in this movie and contemplated not even mentioning who was in it. However, I looked it up online and discovered that I actually know one of the actors - Ron Perlman. Daniel Emilfork stars as Krank and Judith Vittet stars as the gorgeous Miette. Neither of whom I've seen before. They are both french actors and based on their bios I found online have only done French cinema and TV.

This movie takes a lot of concentration and a second time watching definetly helped me to understand it better. I'm not sure that it's really a movie that I would generally watch for entertainment value. And I'm not saying that because of the subtitles. I found the movie to be a little slow in terms of plot and a not the most captivating storytelling. I'd recommend it to people that like foreign films and something a bit different. For someone more mainstream like me you can give it a miss in my eyes. Sorry JP!

"Click" is another Adam Sandler movie. I don't think it's his best, but I like him and he generally does pretty funny movies.

Kate Beckinsale, Jennifer Coolidge, Christopher Walkin, Henry Winkler and David Hasselhoff star alongside Sandlers normal group of actor friends that star in his movies - Rob Schnieder and Sean Astin. Kate is of course beautiful and ok as his long suffering wife. Christopher Walkin is fabulous as he always is, while David Hasselhoff is just plain annoying. 

Michael Newman is a 'typical' american - trying to juggle a young family, a lovely wife and a burgeoning architect career. At Bed, Bath and Beyond he gets given a universal remote. He discovers that it not only works on his appliances but on his life as well. He uses it to fast forward through illness, skips to his next promotion and in the process misses his entire life. 

This movie is a no brainer, just good entertainment value for a ridiculous Sunday afternoon relaxing around the house. In saying that though, it lacks a little substance. It's almost too far fetched and therefore not at all believable. For me to enjoy a movie I have to at least believe something in it I've discovered.

It's not Adam Sandlers finest movies but it's ok. It's amusing so that makes it all ok in the end. Should you watch it? Sure why not. You won't be missing anything if you don't and your life won't be changed if you do, but you may at least be a little amused for a few hours.

Did I mention that to finish the "C"s in this project (starting with "Click") we watch 5 Heather movies, 2 JP movies, 5 Heather movies, 2 JP movies, 2 Heather movies . . . hehehehe.

"Cloudy with a chance of Meat Balls" is a relatively new movie to my collection. The movie is based on the popular children's book - which I've never read but now I really want too.

Flint Lockwood is an inventor on the island of Swallow Falls. Swallow Falls is famous for sardines but the world has realised that sardines are gross and the island is loosing it's revenue. Flint invents a machine that turns water into food. A fortuidous accident has the machine shoot into the clouds and Flint discovers he can make it rain food. It would seem that the towns troubles may be over.

Flint Lockwood is voiced by Bill Hader. His love interest is voiced by the Anna Faris, James Caan voices the father of Flint and Mr T voices the hilarious cop. Neil Patrick Harris and Benjamin Bratt also make appearances in smaller roles. They are a very eclectic group of actors who make a great ensemble cast.

I love the stupidity of this movie. Raining food is so ridiculous and yet it's so much fun to watch! The movie has it's own little love story going on between the inventor and the reporter sent to cover the breaking story. He woos her by raining jello, collecting it all up and making a giant jello mansion to bounce around in. My faveourite has got to be the giant icecream storm that's just like a snow storm, only sweet.

There are lots of hidden messages in this movie. Eg: excess food is bad for you. Too much wastage is dangerous for you and for the environment. Sardines are gross. But the movie really is just so much fun to watch. Who doesn't want to imagine a world where you hold out your plate and catch breakfast?! haha.

I think you should watch it - it's a fun children's movie. You'll enjoy it. Trust me!

I still have to review "Clueless", "Cocktail" and "Con Air" and then I'm all caught up. Next up to watch is "Conan the Barbarian" and "Conan the Destroyer" - two of JP's movies obviously. They are just so boy sounding!

No comments:

Post a Comment