01 July 2010

Being Poorly

I'm Poorly. "Poorly" is a term used by my best friend slash flatmate to describe being unwell. So instead of telling you I'm Sick, I simply tell you I'm Poorly. I do the know where he got it from, but I'm poorly and can't be bothered trying to tell you .

I hate being 'poorly' and I hate having to take time off work for several reasons.

1. Today is the first day of the month, which means there are reports due today.

2. It's the last Thursday of a pay period, which means all payroll changes and calculation changes are due to the payroll team today.

3. It's EM's last week in our office and I'm going to miss her when she's gone next week and now I've missed a day of her being there. And, as a result of missing this day I've had to ask one of my other colleagues to help me out with a wee "we'll see ya round" secret pressie thing for her. (I'm fairly certain she doesn't read this, but if she does I'm pretty sure she already knows we'd do something for her.)

4. I have no sick leave pay left - my next allotment kicks at the end of July, so I'll have to take today as unpaid or annual leave, and seeing as I can't afford not to be paid, I guess it'll have to be one of my few annual leave days that I was saving for a short road trip to the Waikato in a few months.

I spent last night and this morning stressing out about the first two points, frantically emailed all these instructions and requests to my counterpart (who came back to work today after 3 days off) to get stuff done for payroll. By the time I got to lunch time I was so stressed and tired I had a sudden epihany -
Sometimes my life is allowed to be about me.
I'm feeling pretty terrible, and my workmates will be able to cope without me and if they can't, then tough, I'm poorly!!

So I spent the rest of the afternoon tucked up in my trackies and hoodie, in bed with the heaters on, a box of tissues, two very pleased to have someone home with them pussycats and some dvds.

Tomorrow night's the big Mid-Winter Dinner social event that we host for our Educators every year. It's a big deal and always lots of fun. I really don't want to miss it, so I'm determined to go to work tomorrow. Whether I make it to the dinner or not is yet to be seen, but I would have to be pretty damn poorly to not go. Fingers crossed everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment