23 January 2011

Scavenger Hunt Sunday

This weeks prompts were a bit more challenging. They've given me a chance to push myself to photograph things that I normally wouldn't and in ways that I normally wouldn't try. If you've seen my work before you'll have noticed by now that I love my macro lens and abstract art. So here we go:

1. Memories
My Grandmother saved all these postcards that she has been sent over the years. Some are as old as 1965. Reading the back is like a trip down memory lane or a small glimpse into the writer's life at that moment. You can feel how special and memorable they are just by holding them.

2. Silhouette
Half way up the path to the Mt Victoria lookout (which overlooks Wellington city) is this Maori sculpture. I edited it slightly to make it more 'silhouette'-y, and I really like how it's turned out.

3. Doorway
This is a large sculpture that is on the side of a busy bypass in the City. It's the size of a house and is the outer walls only. It's very beautiful, I love that it's ornate, wooden and colourful. It fits in with the surrounding architecture and has colourful stained glass too. But best of all, the door works - not that there's much need for it.

4. Reflection
These stars hang in my window. Their reflection make it look like there's twice as many twinkling lights floating around my bedroom.
5. Silver
One of the beautiful rings I wear daily. I'm a silver girl, never wear gold. I bought this butterfly in Santander, Spain.

23 comments:

  1. Your Doorway and your Reflection shots are simply awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that vibrant doorway and the great reflection from those stars the best this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome photos, all of them with their own little story! I love it, hugs from Anette in Norway :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the variety of perspectives in your photos this week. Very cool doorway shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those postcards are awesome! And I love the statue at the top of Mt Wellington too.
    Great pics :-)
    xxxCate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice shots this week. The doorway shot is my fav.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love, love ALL of your photos. The silhouette one is really cool and the doorway looks amazing. GREAT shots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice shots, silver is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful job! I love all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are all great shots.. I love that silver shot..

    ReplyDelete
  11. In all honesty, I seriously loved every single shot. It may have been challenging but you definitely rocked it out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the shot of the old postcards. That would be so fun to read through them. Love the silver butterfly too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the colors in your Doorway image, and you picked a wonderful subject for the Memories shot- it is so cool that she kept all those postcards!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your doorway shot...how cool!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful shots, your "memories" is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those post cards are SO cool!! Lovely capture of them!! funky doorway too!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love them all... not even sure I could pick a favorite! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous collection. I agree, I felt the prompts certainly challenged me too. Love your doorway capture, but my favourite is your memories, has such a beautiful tactile quality with lovely shadows!

    ReplyDelete
  19. AWESOME...loved them all, although I adore the sentiment memories has, and that door shot is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow Heather....love your interpretations! Hard to choose a favorite, but that interesting door really struck me. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are all so good! I love your doorway shot!

    ReplyDelete