25 November 2011

Election 2011 Rant

Comparitavely I'm not a big politics person. I don't usually take a lot of notice of politics, I have opinions, but not strong ones that I feel the need to discuss or vehemently defend should someone start up a political conversation. But come election time, I get rather interested. I almost typed 'I get right in to it', but again, comparitvely not really.

Anyway, my point is that I have been interested in the politics that go along side the election. I always vote and make a point of understanding who is running and making an informed decision. I figure if you don't vote then you can't complain. Not that I wish to complain, but I want to be able to should I feel the need too. And we all know I love a good complaining session from time to time.

I always say two things about winning my vote:
1. Show me your policies.
2. Don't piss me off with bad sportsmanship.

This year has been much like the others. Lots of billboards and advertising EVERYWHERE you go.

In my electorate the fight is on between the longstanding United Future candidate (as in 27 yrs!) and the new Labour whipisnapper. I've always voted for the incumbent, mainly becuase I remember him coming along to all the school fairs, shows, town parades etc. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders and to be honest hasn't done anything I strongly disagree with. Meanwhile, the Labour candidate has been a pain in the backside. The nail in his coffin was a letter sent to every voter this week. He proceeded to bad mouth the incumbenent for a full page! Such bad sportsmansip and nearing on bulling behaviour. I was pretty disgusted and John will tell you there was swear words and threats of "I'm going to write to those pricks", because right there he lost my vote. Not that I was giving it to him anyway, but had I been, it was lost with that letter - refer to rule number 2!

Meanwhile, I'm also sick and tired of a new strategy being employed by National and Labour this year. They send a group of volunteers out to the intersections and busy roads to wave placards and shout out ridiculous things. They move around from intersection, to roads, to roundabouts depending on rush hour traffic and busy parts of town. Not only do they look completely ridiculous, but they are actually dangerous. They stand on the roundabouts blocking your view of the otherside, they wave cards that distract you from the road. I'm surprised no one's had an accident yet. They would have a lot to answer for. Again, I'm also annoyed enough to complain formally to the parties, or the council perhaps?!

I hate the "Don't vote for that party because they blah, blah, blah" strategies. You didn't make me want to vote for you, you just annoyed me about your party! Grr, so annoying and juvenile. And bad sportsmanship! There's rule number 2 raring it's ugly head again.

I'm not a debate watcher, I haven't got the patience. I really just want to hear the policies and make an informed decision based solely on those. Last weekend the Dominion Post published a full page of the top 8 parties policies in the 6 (or so) major categories - Education, Law & Order, Welfare, Health, Economic etc. Over the afternoon and several beers John read through each of the policies and kept a tally of which of us would vote for which party purely on the policies of that group. It lead to some very interesting discussions and debates, as well as some ranting (possibly from me about the Mana party). But the best thing for me was I actually completely changed my mind about which party to vote on. I couldn't argue with it, it was pure rule number 1 - I saw the policies and that's all I want to vote based on. I really should write to the Dominion Post and thank them for their publication, it really did help me decide who to vote for.

So tomorrow when I vote I have a clear understanding of who my electorate vote is going to and who my party vote is going to. My party vote is not who I originally planned on voting for, but I feel very comfortable with my choice and feel it's the best vote for my voice.

I'm putting money on John Key being back as PM, I think he has the popularity to go another term. But, to be honest I'm not overly concerned. I mainly want the billboards down, those bloomin volunteers off the intersections, and life to return to normal.

Bring on Christmas I say!

1 comment: