22 March 2011

Developing a photography style.

I really enjoy photos of people that are taken when they don't realise they are being photographed. It sounds a bit voyueristic, but I promise it's not. I like to capture the ease, the innocence, the honesty of the moment. To capture the moment for the moment and not a posed moment with a plastered on smile, but a real moment.

So far I've mostly done these of people I know, and mostly from behind so they don't know I'm doing it and so they don't jump into the automatic pose or completely jump out of the shot.
I wish I was brave enough to take photos of strangers where it might be obvious that I'm doing it. So far I've discovered that the beach is a great place to take photos of people without them knowing that I'm photographing them, friends and strangers alike. I plan to broaden my horizons and my shoulders in order to gain more shots and opportunities for shots.

And I also like these photos in black & white, or some variation. Somehow it brings another layer of innoncence and calm to the photo that I like.

Here are a few from my collection:

Saturday Bike Riders.
Porirua, New Zealand

My best friends checking out the beach.
Santander, Spain

Jackie, Jessie and Jake heading to the beach.
Callala Beach, NSW, Australia.

The whole family heading to the beach.
Callala Beach, NSW, Australia.

Worshipper at Mosque.
Muscat, Oman.

Rach, John and Lu walking to our photo shoot location.
Titahi Bay, Porirua, New Zealand.


Dating, With the whole family in attendance.
Muscat, Oman.

Jessie vs the Ocean.
Callala Beach, NSW, Australia.

Jackie contemplates the waves.
Callala Beach, NSW, Australia.


Jackie, Jessie and Jake heading to the beach (again).
Callala Beach, NSW, Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment