25 July 2011

Photos on the internet

These days if you want to see photos of someones baby you just have to log on to their facebook profile or their blog. It's become common practice for parents to plaster the internet with hundreds of photos of their little ones. As your friendly facebook stalker I do enjoy looking at photos of people I went to high school with and old workmates, but one or two photos of your children are enough. Not 20 of them looking at the camera at one month old, then another 20 at two months old etc etc.

Personally I don't really like a lot of photos of myself on Facebook or plastered on the internet. I don't feel comfortable with hundreds of my pictures being out there for every Tom, Dick and Harry to look at. I can't help but be greatful that Facebook wasn't around when I was a child so that all those family photos aren't out there in the world. And if I think this about myself, why would I want my child to one day google their name and come up with hundreds and thousands of pictures of themselves, right from word dot.

I don't have a child yet, but my point is that I don't plan on posting lots of photos of them on the internet out of respect for their privacy and a right to their childhood being lived in freedom and not constant fear that Mummys going to put this all over the internet.

Bit hypecrtical you might be saying, Heather you have a blog. Yes, however I made the choice to start a blog and to have a Facebook page. My child did not.

However, I totally understand the desire to share stories and photos of the gorgeous wee bubba. My gorgeous wee nephew arrived about a week ago and I've been dying to share photos with everyone that crosses my path. After a discussion with his parents tho it doesn't surprise me that they think along the same lines as I do and don't want a lot of photos of him on the internet.

Of course I'm a photographer and take hundreds upon hundreds of photos all the time. I only share the great ones, or the ones that serve a purpose. I don't post photos anywhere online but here as I don't want my pictures out in the world unless I put them there and even then I have to be prepared that someone one day may poach them.

So while I'd love to share hundreds of pictures with you I'm not going too. Out of respect for Lee and Morgans wishes and my own desire to limit a childs exposure on the internet, I've agreed to only post pictures of Dorian that his parents themselves post online (mainly through Facebook to satisfy friends and families desire for pictures).  

I took a collection of shots over the weekend and luckily for me Lee posted two of my absolute favourites on Facebook. For those of you that love babies and that are dying for glimpse of the gorgeous Dorian. Here he is at just one week old.



No comments:

Post a Comment