03 July 2011

Double Jeopardy, Dragonfly, Drop Dead Fred & Dune

Double Jeopardy is one of the very first movies I owned on DVD. Back in the days where I only bough movies if I really really liked them (these days I buy almost anything I've watched, enjoyed and may wish to watch again one day).

Libby Parsons thinks she has the perfect life - a rich, sucessful husband and a sweet wee son. When her husband goes missing, presumed dead she is arrested and convicted of his murder. But when she calls to talk to her son, she hears her husbands voice and she knows she's been wrongly convicted. She learns about 'double jeopardy' the clause in the legal system stating that you can't be convicted for the same crime twice. Once she's out of prison, she's going to get her son back, kill her husband and there's nothing the legal system can do to stop her.

Ashley Judd stars as Libby Parsons. I like her, but she doesn't really do to many blockbuster movies. At the time the movie was made (1999) she seemed to be an up and coming star. I couldnt' tell you what she's done lately. I think she does a good job with this role, totally convincing as the sweet, innocent, but tough-because-she-has-too character. Supporting her are Bruce Greenward as the not-so-dead husband and Tommy Lee Jones as the parole officer chasing her down. Tommy Lee Jones is brilliant, he really gets right in to the character and almost steals the show from under Ashley Judd.

I have no idea if the 'double jeopardy' clause even exists in American (or NZ) law, but it makes sense and that's what makes the movie plausible. So often in movies, the story is good, but it's not plausible and you spend the whole movie thinking "this is so ridiculous, that would never happen", but not with this movie. You want to believe that it's plausible, and you so badly want her to catch her scumbag husband so she can finally get the revenge that she deserves.

The movie is fastpaced and action packed. It swings from many locations, ending in the beautiful New Orleans (I really want to go there one day!). There are chase scenes through cemetries, cars diving off boats and prison bunk scenes. Like I said, it's action packed.

It's definetly worth a watch if you're looking for an unscary thriller. I know, I know, thrillers don't seem like typical 'heather-type-movies'. But I do like good pyschological thrillers. As long as there isn't lots of blood, guts and jumping out to scare me scenes, I'm good with the thrillers.

Speaking of psychological thrillers, the next movie project is another psychological thriller. I don't remember when I watched this the first time, but I remember being surprised that I really enjoyed it. I think this was when I realised that pyschological thrillers are totally different to 'thrillers'.

Dr Joe Darrow is devestated by his wife Emilys tragic death while on a work trip to the South American jungle. As he grieves for her, he becomes increasingly obsessed with what he believes is his wife trying to contact him with a message to find her again. He must try to convince those that love him that he's not depressed and delusional, but in fact right, Emily is trying to reach him.

Kevin Costner stars as Dr Joe Darrow, the handsome and loving husband. He does a great job and slowly falling in to a depressive and obsessive, grieving widower. He portrays the character with just the right level of sympathy and craziness. You really want him to find what he thinks is waiting for him, even though you're fairly sure he needs psychological help.

Meanwhile he is supported by the always brilliant Kathy Bates as the friendly next door neighbour and unknown Susanna Thompson as his wife. She's gorgeous and very aloof, but I guess that's what playing a deceased character trying to contact your living husband is all about.

Dragonfly is a very simple story, focusing on the grief and downward spiral someone can fall into when they loose a loved one tragically. The movie has a surprising twist at the end that I didn't see coming (that's probably why I like it so much) and while I know that's not how it really happens in real life, it makes the movie the what it is. And probably much more sellable to audiences.

I really enjoy this movie for the same reasons I really enjoy Double Jeopardy - it's a thriller, without the scary stuff. Although, Dragonfly definetly has more jump-out-and-scare you stuff than Double Jeopardy. It's worth a watch, but I'll be honest and say you won't be missing much if you don't. Plus, the man in your life might not be to impressed that there isn't any real action in the movie. Perhaps it's best left as a thriller for the girls.

I own this movie for nostaligic reasons. It was a movie that was a favourite of my childhood friend Camille. We would watch it together all the time. I didn't find it as funny as she did, but I liked it nonetheless. I don't have Camille in my life anymore, but I do have Drop Dead Fred. Not an even trade I know, but it's what I've got.

Lizzie is in her 30's, her husband has left her for another woman and she's moved back in with her overbearing mother. She recreates her childhood imaginery friend Fred who always got Lizzie in to a lot of trouble in the past. Now, Fred is not pleased that Lizzie has grown up and will do anything to stop Lizzie from finally being an adult and getting rid of him for good.

Phoebe Cates stars as the very dowdy and irritatingly childish Lizzie. I know it was made in 1991 and the fashion is very 'early 90s' but that doesn't excuse the very, very dowdy and totally ridiculous clothes that she wears. She also looks very young and this actually ruins the movie slightly for me. She looks way to young to be dating, let alone trying to save a marriage. I think it was the director/producer trying to make her character seem young and vulnerable, which they did, just a little to well unfortunetly.

Rik Mayall stars as Drop Dead Fred and he's brilliant. He is such a crazy actor that over exagerates everthing, lending him fantastically to this very eccentric character. He throws himself around, he pulls crazy faces and he laughs like a child. In fact, it's all very child like which is exactly what his character is.

When I watched this movie as a teenager, it was funny. When I bought it several years ago I didn't like it, I thought it was ridiculous and childish. And when I watched it this time I laughed. It was childish sure, but I could see the humour in it again. I think this probably says more about me and my state of mind than it does about the movie. Yes it's dated and yes it's ridiculous, but it's not the movie that changes, but I do.

Drop Dead Fred is disgusting and childish and for all teens to enjoy. I say teens, because there is adult issues (divorce etc) that kids would be bored with, but teens can comprehend. It's worth a giggle, but be prepared for the profanity and vulgar nature of the movie. If you are, then you'll enjoy it.

The last D movie is Dune. You can probably guess just from the dvd cover that it's one of John's movies, not mine. I'd never heard of this movie before, or watched it. I wasn't sure whether it was a science fiction movie, a horror or what it was. John gave me a quick rundown of the story and I was ok with watching it. How very wrong I was.

"The saga of intergalactical warrior Paul Atreides and his messianic rise to lead his people and their struggle for survival. The young hero leads his people against an evil baron and tries to destroy a galaxy-wide trade in spice, a mind-altering drug produced on the desert planet."

I had to quote the synopsis from the back of the dvd, because honestly, I couldn't follow the movie at all. At all! I tried, I really did. I asked questions, even though I know John hates it when I do that. I really tried to follow along, but the story is screwed up. It jumps from scene to scene with no explanation and the special effects don't enhance the movie, but just make it even more bizaree. Yes it was made in 1984 and special effects have come along way since then, but even so, this is just strange.

The dialogue has got to be the strangest of all the aspects. My favourite was "the spice is you, you are the spice." For crying out loud! That's not a good line no matter how you dress it up.

Kyle McLaughlin (of Sex and the City and Desperate Housewives) is the young star and the only actor that I recognised. He was alright and definetly grew with the character, but thats about all I can really say positively for this movie.

I just didn't get it, but I did enjoy mocking the ridiculousness of it once I decided I was going to stop trying too. I probably really annoyed John by doing so, but if you're going to make me watch something like this than you better be prepared for some jibes.

You should watch this if you're a movie buff, if you like sci-fi, or if you've read the book. Otherwise don't do it. You might want to check out John's review before making up your mind. He'll be much more openminded and favourable I'm sure. But don't say I didn't warn you!

This ends the D's. Phew! Next we move on to the E movies. There aren't that many of them in comparison to other letters, but I'm rather behing as we're about half way through viewing the F's at the moment. I hope to catch up sooner rather than later. That being said, I think I'll call it a day and end this review session here. It seems a natural stoping place.

No comments:

Post a Comment