19 June 2011

The Devil Wears Prada, Dog Soldiers & Dogma

The Devil Wears Prada is fast becoming a classic of the 'naughties' decade. Not only is the movie great, but the book it's based on is a great read. Author Lauren Weisberger has written several other great books and has become one of my favourite autheors. She does a modern day chick lit with both humour and grace.

Andy Sachs is a wannabe journalist in New York city, but the only job she can get is as the PA to Miranda Priestly, editor of Runway Magazine, a job hundreds of girls would kill to get. Andy has to learn to survive a job with the boss from hell if she wants to get anywhere in her career.

Anne Hathaway stars as the spirited, yet somewhat naive Andy. Meryl Streep pulls out all the stops as the hellish Miranda Priestly. Together they are a powerful duo. They are supported by the wonderful Stanley Tucci as Miranda's long suffering 2IC, one of my personal favourites Adrian Gernier (in fact I think he's number 1 on my 'to do' list) as Andy's non-understanding boyfriend and Emily Blunt debuts in the role that launched her career, as Emily the number one PA for Miranda.

This story is perhaps not the most original movie out there and it's definetly a coming-of-age story for the main character and even for most of the secondary characters as well. Perhaps that's it's mass appeal. That or the actors are all brilliant in their performances. Perhaps it's that we all want a wee bit of that glamourous life that Andy finds herself in or that we all dream of getting past that horrible boss for the life and career we so badly want. Whatever the reason, there is something in this story for everyone to enjoy.

While the guys might not be that keen, I think you might be surprised, and if not then you'll at least earn some brownie points for watching it. Girls, you'll love it. Even if it's just for the Adrian Grenier factor.

Yes I've now watched Dog Soldiers. I was told that this one was more funny than it is scary. Being told this before I watch it makes me nervous straight away. How scary is it if I need pre-warning that it's not really scary?! If it's not really scary, then surely I don't need the warning!

A team of British Soldiers are sent on a training excersise in the Scottish Highlands. The routine excersie is disrupted when they come across the leader of a special operations team leader seriously injured and alone after his entire team have been destroyed by a mysterious force. Local farmgirl Megan comes to their rescue, but the team soon realise that the house they are taking refuge in is home to a family of super werewolves. Now all they need to do is survive until morning.

The only actor I recognise from this horror film is Kevin McKidd of Grey's Anatomy fame. Here he uses his real Scottish accent and he's much sexier than using a fake American one on TV. Other stars include Liam Cunningham, Sean Pertwee, Emma Cleasby and Thomas Lockyear. If you know who any of those people are then you are a more intuned with British film than I am.

Yes this was scary. And, Yes this was funny. At times the movie pushes the line between scary and just ridiculous, therefore being funny. Though I must concide that while the line is pushed, it's not often crossed. There's a lot of blood and guts, hence my requirement for the lights in the room to remain on, but somehow it's not to much. With all the death (and I don't think that's giving to much away seeing as it is a horror movie and horror movies tend to be filled with death and horror. . . ) you do slowly become accustomed to it by the end, perhaps lessening the horror and increasing the humour. Or maybe that's just me?!

Anyway, it wasn't as bad or as scary as I thought it was going to be, although I don't feel any need to watch this again any time soon. Girls, you'll earn the brownie points for watching this movie this time round. Boys, unless you're not a horror lover (and I'm yet to meet a bloke that's not), you'll enjoy it.


Dogma is a movie that's either loved or hated by those that watch it. Personally I love it. It's completely ridiculous and it mocks religion, so yes I love it.

Two fallen angels are attempting to get back into heaven through a loophole in church dogma, but if they do all hell will break loose and life will cease to exist as we know it if they do. It's up to a human, an apostle, an angel, a muse and two proliphic prophets to stop them, all with the backing of a missing God.

Dogma stars some great actors - Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Salma Hayek, Chris Rock, Alan Rickman, Linda Fiorentino, Jason Lee, the popular Jason Mewes and Kevin Smith (Jay and Silent Bob) and cameos from Janeane Garofalo and Alanis Morissette. Matt Damon and Ben Affleck are a great acting team and alway compliment each other so well, which they do here again. Salma Hayek is passionate and Chris Rock is the filthy mouthed, comedic actor we know and love. Alan Rickman adds some fantastic acting, as only he can. But it's Jay and Silent Bob doing what they always do, that make us laugh so much.

For me, I love the controversy that this movie stirred up. I love that they didn't try to be PC, but the complete opposite. They take a religion and mock the bollocks out of it. As a non-religious person this amuses me, but for many others it wasn't so funny. I can apperciate that, but it's just a movie and should be taken for the light heartened, good natured ribbing that was intended.

This movie is defiently not for everyone. As I said earlier, people either love it or hate it. If you're a religious person, then perhaps you best not annoy yourself by watching this, but if you're not, or if you can appreciate a good laugh when one is presented then go for it. Don't say that I didn't warn you tho!

1 comment: