29 June 2011

Brownie Badges - Where to start?!

A while ago I came up with an idea to finally gain all my Brownie badges. I was a Brownie when I was a kid, but not for long and I don't remember what (if any) badges I earnt. From what I hear, being a Brownie is a bit of a right of passage (much like being a Scout is for the boys). So, why not earn the badges now?! Better late than never I reckon.

Lu recently graduated from Brownie to Girl Guide and so gave me her Brownie badge book to copy. All going well we could move on to earning our Girl Guide badges too I guess.

So far the plan is to work through the badges one by one. Playing along with me are John and Rachel. If you're keen on joining us you are more than welcome. The more the merrier!! Flick me an email if you want to join us, or just follow along with my posts and have fun at home.

All the tasks are aimed to challenge a 8-9 year old girl, so as an adult you're not going to find to these tasks impossible to achieve. Most should be easy, but some will be a challenge even to us 'oldies'. But I can almost guarantee that all of them will be FUN.

Here are the rules for gaining a badge:

1. Brownies must complete seven of the 20 clauses or 'tasks' for the badge. However, as we are slightly older than your average Brownie, we think it's only fair that we must complete 10 of the 20 clauses to achieve the badge.

2. When an Assessor is required to complete the task, I will be sharing, telling or whatever is required on my blog. For the more practical aspects videos will be taken and linked up here. For others playing, you can share on your own respective blogs, or with our wee group if you wish. If you're keen to share your tasks and don't have a blog, I'd be honoured to post for you on my blog.

3. My 'six' (Brownie term for 'group') is John, Rachel, Lu and you! Any task requiring 'show and tell' with my six, will be with you all. For others playing, same as above, or you can create your own 'six'.

4. Time frames will be set. Otherwise, we'll be still working on one badge a year later.

5. All 20 tasks will be posted on my blog, with regular updates about how the badge earning is going.

6. When a task refers to 'take an adult' or 'ask an adult' we will be enlisting the help of one of our 'adult' friends.

Now for the fun part, choosing a badge to start with! Here are all the badges:
Animal World
Discover It. Mysteries, Maps & Mazes
Green Machine
Jazz It Up
Live It Up
Me, Myself & I
My Creation
On The Edge
Pen 'N Ink
Science Whiz
Technofunk
Trailblazer

After a team vote, we have decided to start with 'Discover It. Mysteries, Maps & Mazes'. Check back tomorrow for a full list of the task options and how first picks for tasks to work on.

1 comment:

  1. You have adult friends ?????????????? hahaha

    ReplyDelete