25 June 2013

San Francisco - I'm a little bit in love.

I'm so pleased I decided to go to San Francisco first. I was nervous as hell about doing it alone,about getting used to tipping, about navigating a totally foreign city and about being in a country alone, so far away from home and all you guys. But it was totally worth it. 

Firstly, American's are way friendly, cheerful and so willing to help. Sure there are the odd few that are jerks, but you get that everywhere, lets be honest. They fact that everyone was willing to help a stranger, a foreigner at that, and do it with a smile, made my experience in San Francisco so much better. 

San Francisco has been a city that I've dreamed about going to since I was a teenager. The city itself, it's touristy icons and the artistic vibe really appeals to me. And now, I can honestly say that it was everything I had thought it would be - I wasn't disappointed. My only one gripe is that I wasn't there long enough! 

I bought tickets with a Sightseeing company that did four different loops around the city. They covered all the major sites and had great commentary along the way. I cashed in my tickets on the second day there as I arrived at 6pm the night before, but the company had booked me on the Alcatraz tour for the day before, so I was placed on standby for Alcatraz the next day. A word to the wise, book ahead! The next available tour wasn't till the end of June. I did three of the four tours that day, seeing all the major sites. 

Two of the tour guides pointed out the best chowder place on the wharf, so I tried it that night. Holy shitballs, it was amazing. I had a class of wine and New England Clam Chowder in a Sourdough bread bowl. It was soo good I had to have a second bowl, didn't finish it mind you, but it was amazing. 

I checked out Pier 39 where the sea lions live as well as being a tourist meca for California. I bought souviners, and so many of them in fact that I had to post a box home before flying back to LA! I also had to buy a jersey. Here's something I didn't realise about San Francisco - it's bloody cold in the summer! One guide told me that it's the water and fog coming in through the bay, yarda yarda yarda. Basically it's cold in Summer and warm in Winter, go figure. 

On day two I did the second tour again, cause I just hadn't had my fill of the Golden Gate Bridge and I wanted to stop at the Walt Disney Family Museum, only it turns out that it's closed on a Tuesday, and what day was I there? Tuesday of course. In the afternoon I got on the last boat to Alcatraz. Alcatraz fascinates me, I'm intrigued by it's history and the many stories you hear of it. It was surreal being there and walking down the halls and listening to the guided tour (which in itself was full of history and details and really, really good!). I could have stayed there listening to the tour several times, but I had to get that last boat back. I stopped myself from buying several books about Alcatraz, on the proviso that I order them from Amazon when I get home. 

That night I wanted to check out The Cheescake Factory which was at the top of the Macy's across  the road from my hotel. It's the second largest Macy's in the country- an entire city block and 9 stories tall. Anyway, The Cheescake Factory was so packed that I had a 2 hour wait for a table for one, so I left. And FYI, it looked nothing like it does on The Big Bang Theory and the waitress uniforms are not the same either. 

Day three I went shopping at Macy's, buying quite a few clothes. Mainly because I'm not entirely sure when I can get some washing done next, and the variety is amazing. 

After the shopping I managed to quite easily get everything in my bag (more shopping to be done it seems!) and was time to head off to the airport. 

I already know I'll be back to San Francisco, hopefully as part of a West Coast adventure, but I'll definitely have to be there for longer than a few days next time. There was still so much to see and explore. I managed to see the main touristy things and see alot as it was, but not to any great detail like I would like too. Oh what a shame that I'll just have to come back!

No comments:

Post a Comment