14 April 2013

My love of Travel & Melbourne, 1991

I'm not sure when my love of travel kicked in, but I'm guessing pretty early. When I was little our family holidays were long car rides to Waiheke Island where our Grandparents lived, Taupo for summer holidays and up the coast to Waikanae in later years.

I'm pretty sure that I've always wanted travel around the world. I've always wanted to go and see the world, all of it. As a young thing I was totally jealous of my cousin who got to travel around the world before the age of six. It wasn't until much later that I realised that had I travelled young I wouldn't remember it now.

Over the years I've done a lot of travel, and for as long as I can I plan on doing a lot more. In a few months I'm going on a great adventure, but before then I thought it might be fun to look back at some of my previous travels.

When I was 10, Mum took me on my first overseas holiday. We went to Melbourne for a week. I remember snippets of the holiday, mostly some of the touristy things we did and hanging out with my friend. I remember coming home with lots of souvieners. And now I realise that I was smart enough then to know that I would want to remember the holiday. These days when I travel I take about a thousand photos and write emails and my blog, but we're talking 22 (yeesh!) years ago people! At that age I had pretty stationary and wrote a page each night about what we did. I'm also smart enough to know that keeping those pages is a wise idea.

Check out my diary pages from my very first overseas holiday;

Wednesday 16th
The plane arrived at the airport at 8.25. Before we landed the Captain said it was 9 degrees outside, and everybody said "What" really loud. Jenny picked us up from the airport and dropped us off at her house. After that we got a bus out to Box Hill (a shopping mall). We bought a big bag of presents. At 3.30 we went to get Katy and Sarah from after school care. Had dinner.

Thursday 17th
Today I got up at 8.20 in the morning. We had toast for breakfast. We got the tram to the zoo. We spent about 2 hours at the Zoo. We got a tram to the market. We had lunch and bought a huge bag of presents for everybody at home. Katy had netball but we didn't get to watch. We had dinner, and then we watched the Flying Doctors.

Friday 18th
Today we went to Jenny's work, and got a tram out to the middle of the city. We went to see the Art Gallery to look around. We had lunch at McDonalds. After lunch we bought a big bag of lollies to eat as we walked around the HUGE city. We must of walked a thousand miles. We had a spa after tea and played 'blind date'

Saturday 19th
This morning we had croissants and bread for breakfast. We went to Box Hill with the Smiths. I bought a pencil case and two rubbers for School. We went to a School Fete. After lunch John took us to the pool. At 5.00 we went to a barbeque at Katy's friend Greta's house. We got home at 10.30.

Sunday 20th
We had croissants for breakfast again. We packed picnic, and went to the gardens. We had the picnic by a pond. There were ducklings and baby swans. We found out there where no knives so we used an old credit card. We went to 'Pizza by the Metre' and an ice cream for tea.

Monday 21st
Croissants for breakfast again. We went to look out the glass window to see Melbourne from the toilet. I bought a Bedtime Bunny (BB) from The Lost Forest in the Como Center. We had lunch and then we got a taxi home to pack. Had dinner and went to watch Sarah at Jazz.

Tuesday 22nd
Had breakfast and John took us into town. We got a taxi to the airport, boarded the plane at 10.00. When we got to New Zealand it was tea time and we had only just had lunch. We had McDonalds for dinner. They got their presents at home and they really liked them. IT WAS WORTH GOING.

Looking back on these pages, I can see that breakfast and dinner were pretty important and worth remembering. Despite their lack of detail I did actually remember more the trip while reading them and I guess that's the main thing. Needless to say, I'm pretty glad my writing skills have come along since I was 10.

This week I shall hunt down some photos and writing from more travels for everyone to enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. So fun to look back at that sort of thing. Same I never had the patience to have a diary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just reading this brought back so many memories of our first overseas trip. Thanks. XXXX

    ReplyDelete