21 April 2013

Auckland, 2000

The first time I travelled alone - and by alone I mean without my parents and siblings - I was 18 and went with my friend Jo to Auckland. We went to visit another friend Ele who had moved there. I can't remember why, but the point was she was there and we were super excited about a holiday that we booked, we paid for and we went on without any parental supervision.

I'm sure I took lots of photos, this is me we're talking about, but I can't find them right now. Meanwhile, I did find the postcards I wrote each day and sent home to my sister for her to save. And save she did, because I've held on to them ever since.

23 January 2000. 4.50pm
Hi. I got up at 10am and had a shower. Jo and I had peaches for breakie. Ele came over at 10.30, we decided to got to the beach. Put on Jo's suntan lotion (only SPF8 and so now my left arm is really sore from sunburn.) I went for a walk. I bought an iced vanilla latte from Starbucks. I also went to the Warehouse first and bought jandles and a Shania Twain CD. I rang you guys from the beach. Then the three of us drove to One Tree Hill. Jo took some photos. Now we are at our place laughing at our surnburn lines. The plan for tonight is to get chips and some bread for chip sandwhiches for dinner. Then going to movies on Queens St to see 'Double Jeopardy'. Will probably have coffee first. Arm is sore. Jo wants to use the table so I'll go lie down. Hope you guys are having fun. Hug Sixteen for me (and Bunker I suppose). Love Heather. It's REALLY HOT!

24 January 2000.
I didn't get much sleep last night. Don't really know why. Jo and I took Ele to work then cam back here for breakie and a shower. We set off at 11.30am with a walk to the shops around the corner. Then to Skycity. Going down the escalator I saw the Cook family and yelled to them 'Hi' etc. Went up to the observation deck and I took photos of us on glass. Had lunch there. Then on to the cup village where no boats where in sight. I decided to collect shot glasses. Then we went to Kelly Tarltons, I LOVED the penguins. A quick stop at BP for petrol. Then we cleaned Ele's car while waiting for her Uncle and Aunts posh house in Mission Bay for dinner. Where I couldn't stop laughing. Talked to Paul W for ages. Jo bet me at chess twice. Got a pressie for someone. Miss you guys. Weird not being on holiday with you.

25 January 2000
We had a late start this morning. It was cloudy so we decided to go shopping. The car was parked and off we went. Queen St has a lot of shops. I bought two books, two CD's, a candle and had my photos developed. It was raining so I wasn't hot. Jo went to pick up Ele while I stayed at the Backpackers. We decided to have pizza for dinner. We went to get pizza and got some chips too. We watched Dawson's Creek and a guy was laughing at us for cheering at the end of the programme. The Auckland College of Education is around the corner.

26 January 2000
Today Jo and I ran to catch the ferry to Waiheke Island. It was $17 for return ticket and all day bus fare. We had an excellent bus driver, who I'm going to write a letter to the bus company congratulating them on an excellent driver. We had lunch in a restaurant which was good value for $15. I talked to Dad for about 5 minutes. I called Wilma, I will ring again later. Ele, Jo and I had Chinese for dinner then went to see some friends of hers. I enjoyed going to Waiheke. We took a tikky tour around the island and I couldn't find Grandad's beach.

27 January 2000
I didn't get up till 10.30am. We had left over chinese for lunch. We caught the bus to town. We paid $7 for an Auckland bus pass, we could get off anywhere. At the Zoo we took heaps of photos. We saw the elephants and sea lion encounters. At 4.30 we got on a bus and decided to get off when we saw somewhere for an early dinner. We went to Planet Hollywood where I had a huge burger and a cocktail. Very filling. Talked to Mum too. Ele picked us up and now back at our backpackers.

28 January 2000
Jo and I got an Auckland bus pass and go on bus' all day. We went to East Auckland and West Auckland. Often not knowing where we were. We found a shop having a sale and I bought some stuff. We went to Ele's Aunts and Uncles for a swim and dinner. We took the champagne too. We then went to a club called "Leftfierd" where three guys bought us drinks and tried to chat us up. Visited a few more clubs. Now back and Jo's pissed, don't know why.

29 January 2000
Jo woke me early this morning so that the three of us could go sailing with her Aunt and Uncle. We left Bucklands Beach at 11.30am and sailed to Rangitoto Island. It was very windy and the boat was leaning over. We anchored and had lunch. Then on the way back we all had turns of steering. It was calmer on the way back. Jo's cousin took us for a ride in his porshe. Now back at our place, I've had a shower. I got sunburnt on my face and have glasses marks. We are having fish n' chips for dinner, then doing little things like drive up Shortland St etc. Home tomorrow.

30 January 2000
We had to be out of our room by 10. At 9.30 we were waiting for Ele. We went to Vic St markets, then rang Telecom to get the Crawfords address. We went over to their house but they weren't home. Went to get coffee then returned and stayed for half an hour cause there were home. We went for a swim at Ele's relies house and now we are at the airport. I managed to get my bag closed too.

Nice to see a bit more detail in my writing 8 years on, but still got a way to go. And let's be honest, Auckland isn't the most exotic or fun places I've been too. However, it was pretty awesome to go on a holiday that was mine and it definetly sparked that desire to travel and to see much more of the world out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment