10 July 2013

Florida; Reality nothing like Expectations

Day One, Panama City Beach
My expectation: Arriving for the first day/night at a super hot, sunny Panama City Beach and going for a swim in the ocean. 
Reality: Arriving for the first day/night at a cold, wet, flooded Panama City Beach and going for a swim in the pool where I can see the ocean. Not able to swim in the ocean because of the weather and the red flags. 

My Expectation: Finally being able to do some laundry after 10 days. Only one pair of pants left. 
Reality: All washing and dryer machines broken. Still only one pair of pants left. 

Day Two, Orlando
My Expectation: Short drive to Orlando, followed by an afternoon at Disney World. 
Reality: Torrential downpour made the drive slow, arriving in Orlando at 5pm. No time for Disney World. 

My Expectation: Fourth of July, would be epic, lots of festivities, lots of cheeriness and fireworks. 
Reality: Tour manager is decked out in USA flag gear, but not one other single American we've met is or shop is decorated. Muppets in the hotel are setting off fireworks that sounds like gunshots and there's smoke everywhere. And it's still raining. Having a party in the laundry room. 

Day Three, Orlando
My Expectation: Go to a theme park, maybe Universal Studios because it's a Contiki 'optional' that we can get the tickets for easily enough. Not too fussed. 
Reality: Freakin loved it! Three of the girls and I went off together to explore and do the rides, spending about 7 hours there in total. Did Transformers, The Simpsons, Men in Black, Cat in the Hat. Bought Minion merchandise from Despicable Me and had a ball in Suess Land. Visited Harry Potter Land and Jurassic Park. Have made a new travel decision - visit the Gold Coast theme parks next year, (who's keen to join me?!) oh and visit Disneyland in LA seeing as I couldn't get to it here in Orlando as planned. 

My Expectation: TGI Fridays would be another typical fast food place (despite going to one in Dubai 4 years ago). 
Reality: Had a bloomin good steak and a delicious desert. 

Day Four, Miami
My Expectation: The same good food, good service and cheap prices. 
Reality: Good food, terrible, rude service and expensive prices. 

My Expectation: The beach would be like beaches at home, but better - white sand, lots of room, not many people and cold water. 
Reality: White sand, no room, way to many people and warm, but strong weather. 

Day Five, Miami
My Expectation: Cuban food from a Cuban restaurant would be amazing and a real cultural experience. 
Reality: After waiting 40 minutes to be served we walked out. A block down the road was a Brazilian place, that had the most wonderful Brazilian food ever. I had a seafood stew/laksa - without the curry - type meal. It was chocka with shellfish and so delicious. 

My Expectation: Bubba Gump Restaurant was a rip off of the Forrest Gump movie in name only. 
Reality: It was, but it was a homage to the movie. Of course I bought some souviners. 

Day Six: Cocoa Beach
My Expectation: A small beach stop on the way to the next one. Potentially the beach would be covered in cocoa, not overly sure on this, but the name suggests it. 
Reality: Had a great night by the pool with the BBQ going. Even had smores for dessert. The beach was beautiful, huge and sandy white with a long pier. And evidently, no cocoa on the beach. 

Day Seven: St Augustine
My Expectation: Kennedy Space Centre would be a cool stop, with some astronaut stuff and some souviners. 
Reality: A very cool stop, with several 45 min documentarys to watch and seeing inside the Atlantis Space Shuttle. I even met a real astronaut! Very cool. 

My Expectation: Yet another stop along the way. Another boring beach town. 
Reality: A beautiful Spanish influenced town. Architecture, a town square and a cool shopping strip all with stunning and quaint 'old town' charm. 

After a week in Florida we leave tomorrow for our next stop at Savannah, Georgia. I'm looking forward to getting out of this state and heading north. Overall, this state has hardly matched my expecatations. Some has been way better than I thought and lots has not, my first time being disappointed with my trip. But, I'm still glad I went, don't get me wrong, I just don't need to come back, well to Orlando maybe. 


2 comments:

  1. A bad day in Miami is better than a rainy day here. glad you are having fun. miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brazilian food is wonderful. I'm so jealous you got to meet an astronaut. Have fun in Georgia.

    ReplyDelete